Friday, April 18, 2014

No-Win Scenarios

From The Captain's Journal (a radio host, not the captain)

Well, Andy, with a handful of minutes to spare, I have complied with your law.
Your hateful, unconstitutional affront to my rights.

After a year of thinking it over, of going back and forth, of deciding where duty and honor called me to be, this is where I am.

I am ashamed to say that fear was one of the factors in my decision. I am a public person, it is well known that I own an AR-15. I wrote a newspaper column about it when I bought it 20 years ago. I have talked about it on the radio, on television and in web broadcasts ever since.

Further, I’ve got a Democrat district attorney – whose election I opposed – and half the cops in town hate me. So if I don’t register today, there’s a good chance I get arrested tomorrow.

And with five kids still at home, I can’t afford to be the test case.

I’d be a felon, I’d lose my job, I’d lose my house, I’d lose my right to vote and own guns.

And you’d win.

The radio host says he will draw the line at confiscation. But when they start doing that, they will have set the terms of engagement simply by knowing who has the guns.

The regime is very good at giving the impression of a no-win scenario. This illusion is not just their greatest strength, it is their only strength. The solution: don't believe in a no-win scenario.


The Startfleet Academy made the Kobayashi Maru on the belief that cadets would attack the problem head on, fighting on the developers's terms of engagement. Kirk changed the terms of engagement in a way not even his best friend (Spock, who conceptualized it) could foresee.

Our enemies in the real world believe that everyone will cower under threats, or fight under their terms of engagement (fighting a minority resistance in isolated pockets). The regime is no doubt changing their strategy (which will have to be large scale) after the united front they met at Bundy's Ranch, but there is always a way to win.


No comments:

Post a Comment